Professor and Postgraduate Research Coordinator
School of Computer Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney (Google Maps)
Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
E-mail: salil DOT kanhere AT unsw DOT edu DOT au (PGP Key)
Phone: +61 (02) 9385 6927
Location: Room 612, Level 6, K17 Building (Campus Map)
I was born in Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India. I obtained a B.E. in Electrical Engineering from VJTI in Mumbai. Subsequently, I joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA to pursue an M.S. in Electrical Engineering but stayed on to complete a Ph.D. After graduating I moved to beautiful Sydney, Australia and joined the School of Computer Science and Engineering at UNSW Sydney where I am currently a Professor and Postgraduate Research Coordinator. I am also a conjoint researcher with CSIRO Data61. From 2013-2016, I was a Faculty Associate with Institute of Infocomm Research, Singapore.
My research interests encompass pervasive computing, Internet of Things, blockchain, crowdsourcing, mobile technologies, data analytics and security and privacy.
I am always on the lookout for enthusiastic students to join my team. Email me with your CV and transcripts if you are interested to join our team.
- Our paper titled ‘Energy Efficient Legitimate Wireless Surveillance of UAV Communications” was accepted for publications in the IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- Our paper titled “Source-Aware Crisis Relevant Tweet Identification and Key Information Summarization” was accepted for publication in the ACM Transactions on Internet Technology.
- Our paper titled “Passenger Demand Forecasting with Multi-Task Convolutional Recurrent Neural Networks ” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 23rd Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD), Macau, China, April 2019.
- Check out our video demonstrating a proof-of-concept implementation of SPB – a framework enabling secure and private peer to peer energy trading using a blockchain here.
- I will be giving an invited talk at the Workshop on Machine Intelligence in Networked Data and Systems (MINDS) in Bangalore on 7th January 2019.
- I will deliver a keynote address at IEEE INDICON 2018 being held at Amrita University from 16-18 December 2018.
- I am serving as Tutorial Co-Chair for the inaugural edition of the IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency to be held in Seoul, South Korea from 15-17 May 2019.
- Our work on a memory-optimized and scalable blockchain design has been featured in Medium and Modex. The corresponding paper “MOF-BC: A Memory Optimized and Flexible Blockchain for large-scale networks” was accepted in the Future Generation Computer Systems Journal. The article is available here.
- I am delivering a tutorial on Blockchain for Cyber-Physical Systems: Applications, Opportunities and Challenges, together with Prof. Raja Jurdak at IEEE Globecom 2018 in Abu Dhabi on 9th December 2018.
- The paper where we first proposed the use of blockchain in IoT is featured in the most popular conference articles in the IEEE Xplore library. Navigate to the Xplore page and click on conferences to see the list.
- I am deeply honoured to have received a Postgraduate Supervisor Award from the ARC Postgraduate Council. Thanks to my students for their nominations.
- Our paper titled “Zero-Shot Object Detection with Textual Descriptions” was accepted for publication in AAAI 2019 (acceptance rate = 16.2%, CORE: A*)
- Our paper titled “Enabling Efficient and High-Quality Zooming for Online Video Streaming using Edge Computing” presented at ITNAC 2018 received the Highly Commended Paper Award.
- A number of papers were accepted: (i) “Dependable IoT using Blockchain-based Technology” in the Eight Latin-American Symposium on Dependable Computing (LADC), Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, October 2018 (ii) “A Decentralized IoT Data Marketplace” in the 3rd Symposium on Distributed Ledger Technology, Gold Coast, November 2018. (iii)”Realizing a Smart University Campus: Vision, Architecture and Implementation” in IEEE International Conference on Advanced Networks and Telecommunications Systems (IEEE ANTS), Indore, India, December 2018 and (iv) “HydraDoctor: Real-time Liquids Intake Monitoring by Collaborative Sensing” in 20th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN), Bangalore, India, January 2019.
- A number of papers were accepted: (i) “ProductChain: Scalable Blockchain Framework to Support Provenance in Supply Chains” in IEEE NCA (CORE: A), (ii) “Gwardar: Towards Protecting a Software-Defined Network from Malicious Network Operating Systems” in IEEE NCA (CORE: A), (iii) “Fair Scheduling for Data Collection in Mobile Sensor Networks with Energy Harvesting” in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (ERA: A*) (iv) “Blockchain Technologies for IoT” in an edited book titled “Advanced Applications of Blockchain Technology” , Publisher: Springer Nature (v) “A Technology-driven Overview on Blockchain-based Academic Certificate Handling” in an edited book titled “Handbook of Research on Blockchain Technology in Education”.
- I will deliver a keynote at the 2018 Turkish National Conference at Sabanci University in Istanbul on 10th September.
- Our paper titled “B-FICA: Blockchain based Framework for Auto-insurance Claim and Adjudication” was accepted as a full paper for publication in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Blockchain (Acceptance rate for full papers = 15.3%).
- I will give a keynote talk titled Blockchain for Cyberphysical Systems at the IFIP Networking 2018 conference in Zurich in May.
- Our paper titled “Multi-agent Systems: A Survey” was accepted for publication in IEEE Access.
- Our article on liability attribution when autonomous vehicles are involved in accidents and the role of blockchain technology as a potential solution was published in the Conversation.
- I am sabbatical in Semester 1, 2018. I will be spending time at the Institute of Technical Informatics in TU Graz (late-Mar to end of Apr) and the Department of Informatics at the University of Zurich (May).
- I will serve as the Program Co-Chair for ACM MSWiM which will be held in Montreal from 28th Oct – 2nd Nov.
- I will serve as the Systems and Applications Track Co-Chair for IEEE MASS 2018 which will be held in Chengdu from 9-12 Oct.
- Our paper titled “Data-Driven Monitoring and Optimization of Classroom Usage in a Smart Campus” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of ACM/IEEE IPSN 2018. An accompanying demo will also be presented at the conference.
- Our paper titled ” Experiences from the Field: Unify Rewards – A Cryptocurrency Loyalty Program” was accepted for publications in the Symposium on Foundations and Applications of Blockchain 2018 (FAB 2018).
- We are organising a 2-day Blockchain Symposium at UNSW on 12-13 Feb. Details are here.
- The cryptocurrency loyalty program trail that we conducted at UNSW last year has been covered in the following articles: ZDNET, CMO (IDG), and Technology Decisions.
- Our paper titled “Converting Your Thoughts to Texts: Enabling Brain Typing via Deep Feature Learning of EEG Signals” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of IEEE PerCom 2018. Check out a video demonstrating the system in action here.
- Our paper titled “Wi-Access: Second Factor User Authentication leveraging WiFi Signals” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the IEEE CosDEO workshop to held in conjunction with IEEE PerCom 2018.
- I will serve on the TPC for the following conferences – Blockchain 2018 & IFIP WWIC 2018.
- Check out a video outlining our collaboration with LoyaltyX on a world first cryptocurrency trail undertaken at UNSW in Oct-Nov 2017.
- Our paper titled “Blockchain: A Distributed Solution to Automotive Security and Privacy” is now available in the December issue of IEEE Communications Magazine. This article is mentioned in the following article at Altoros. This article was the 2nd most read article in the magazine in January 2018.