Associate Professor and Postgraduate Research Coordinator
School of Computer Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney (Google Maps) (What3Words: rating.using.patch)
Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
E-mail: salil DOT kanhere AT unsw DOT edu DOT au (PGP Key)
Phone: +61 (02) 9385 6927
Location: Room 612, Level 6, K17 Building (Campus Map)
I was born in Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India. I obtained a B.E. in Electrical Engineering from VJTI in Mumbai. Subsequently, I joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA to pursue an M.S. in Electrical Engineering but stayed on to complete a Ph.D. After graduating I moved to beautiful Sydney, Australia and joined the School of Computer Science and Engineering at UNSW Sydney where I am currently an Associate Professor and Postgraduate Research Coordinator.
My research interests encompass pervasive computing, Internet of Things, blockchain, crowdsourcing, mobile technologies, data analytics and security and privacy.
I am always on the lookout for enthusiastic students to join my team. Email me with your CV and transcripts if you are interested to join our team.
- Our paper titled “B-FICA: Blockchain based Framework for Auto-insurance Claim and Adjudication” was accepted as a full paper for publication in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Blockchain (Acceptance rate for full papers = 15.3%).
- I will give a keynote talk titled Blockchain for Cyberphysical Systems at the IFIP Networking 2018 conference in Zurich in May.
- Our paper titled “Multi-agent Systems: A Survey” was accepted for publication in IEEE Access.
- Our article on liability attribution when autonomous vehicles are involved in accidents and the role of blockchain technology as a potential solution was published in the Conversation.
- I am sabbatical in Semester 1, 2018. I will be spending time at the Institute of Technical Informatics in TU Graz (late-Mar to end of Apr) and the Department of Informatics at the University of Zurich (May).
- I will serve as the Program Co-Chair for ACM MSWiM which will be held in Montreal from 28th Oct – 2nd Nov.
- I will serve as the Systems and Applications Track Co-Chair for IEEE MASS 2018 which will be held in Chengdu from 9-12 Oct.
- Our paper titled “Data-Driven Monitoring and Optimization of Classroom Usage in a Smart Campus” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of ACM/IEEE IPSN 2018. An accompanying demo will also be presented at the conference.
- Our paper titled ” Experiences from the Field: Unify Rewards – A Cryptocurrency Loyalty Program” was accepted for publications in the Symposium on Foundations and Applications of Blockchain 2018 (FAB 2018).
- We are organising a 2-day Blockchain Symposium at UNSW on 12-13 Feb. Details are here.
- The cryptocurrency loyalty program trail that we conducted at UNSW last year has been covered in the following articles: ZDNET, CMO (IDG), and Technology Decisions.
- Our paper titled “Converting Your Thoughts to Texts: Enabling Brain Typing via Deep Feature Learning of EEG Signals” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of IEEE PerCom 2018. Check out a video demonstrating the system in action here.
- Our paper titled “Wi-Access: Second Factor User Authentication leveraging WiFi Signals” was accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the IEEE CosDEO workshop to held in conjunction with IEEE PerCom 2018.
- I will serve on the TPC for the following conferences – Blockchain 2018 & IFIP WWIC 2018.
- Check out a video outlining our collaboration with LoyaltyX on a world first cryptocurrency trail undertaken at UNSW in Oct-Nov 2017.
- Our paper titled “Blockchain: A Distributed Solution to Automotive Security and Privacy” is now available in the December issue of IEEE Communications Magazine. This article is mentioned in the following article at Altoros. This article was the 2nd most read article in the magazine in January 2018.